How to Troubleshoot Thermostat Not Working Properly
When your thermostat says one temperature and you know the room is another!
it may be dirty, tilted on the wall, or located where it can’t get a proper reading!
- Turn the power off to the heating system.
- Remove the thermostat’s cover.
- Use a soft brush or vacuum with a brush attachment to gently and carefully remove dust and dirt.
- Wipe off the parallel metal strips with a soft cloth If the thermostat has them.
- Look for corrosion and try to remove it with an electronic contact cleaner.
If you have a mechanical thermostat, make sure it is mounted level on the wall about 5 feet from the floor.
A thermostat has to be located where it can easily sense an air sample that is consistent with room temperatures.
So consider relocating it, if it is mounted in a corner, behind a door, in a closet, near a window or door, or near a heat source.
If your thermostat is outdated, consider replacing it with a newer model.
Relocating or replacing a thermostat involves rerouting wires so, it’s probably better to hire a heating technician to do the work.
Call (888) 333-2422 today for more information and assistance with your thermostat. We are available around New Jersey around the clock. allweekheating.com